Topic: Search for agents

Hello!

This is a request or rather an idea for a new feature.
When I'm in the agent area (/agentadmin.php), I can manage properties – delete or modify – by listing them page by page. And here the first problem appears. There's no search function. Imagine someone's having a realty agency and has a database of 500 listing or even 2,500 listings. Now if it is necessary to modify or delete one or two of them, then one has to find it first. Is there any way to do it besides listing page by page? I don't see it.
And the second problem. Even if we add search link (browse.php) to agent area manually so that to be able to search for a required property, then again we find it, there's no interface to modify or delete it, only to view.
Your script is very good for using by a realty agency, but without the mentioned feature practical usage of it seems to be very hard.

Thank you!

Re: Search for agents

Are you using the agentadmin.php page to administer all of the listings? The original idea of agentadmin.php is a single agent could edit their own listings. To edit all of the listings for all users I would imagine that would be done through the /admin/ section of the site. Currently, there is only the ability to narrow that down by agent.

I have spent a fair amount of time removing the sessions() information from pages that did not seem to need it, such as browse.php and propview.php. I suppose that it might be possible to check for an admin's or agent's login credentials; if the variables are set, then a link to edit could be placed on the page. I will have to look into this to see how much work it appears to be.

Patrick
Lead developer FreeRealty
Other claims to fame: http://www.rwcinc.net
Enrolled Agent, Licensed to Represent Taxpayers before Exams, Appeals and Conference divisions of the Internal Revenue Service.

As we suppose to use it, each agent will manage its own properties. But still an agent might have more than 100 properties, and search with simple browsing already becomes difficult. Thus, if consider adding the mentioned features into interface, it'd wise to add it both to admin and agent sections.
Thanks for your efforts!

Just an idea of a workaround of this issue. What if we add a field to a database table where all the property features listed. We make this field hidden, so that only agents will be able to see it. And in this field a unique identifier will be entered by an agent when adding a property (an identifier will look something like H08053, APR70573, etc.).  Then we add interface for searching by this field in the agent's area (i.e. /agentadmin.php). It can be a separate window with only this field and search button or integrated somewhere on agentadmin.php page.  If a property is found, then it is shown with correspondent links for modifying or editing this property.
This workaround seems to help an agent to find property he wants to modify or delete in the great amount of properties. What do you think about it?  Does it seem hard to realize?

An entry box in agentadmin.php to pull the mls or listing ID might do what you are asking about. I thought that you were wanting to be able to search on a greater number of fields. Am I misunderstanding what you are requesting?

Patrick
Enrolled Agent, Licensed to Represent Taxpayers before Exams, Appeals and Conference divisions of the Internal Revenue Service.

Yes, you are right. At first we wanted to give an agent the ability to search by multiple parameters. It's described in the first post.
Then we thought of a workaround (if it's hard to implements such search) that consists of a separate field. Yes, it can be listing ID (what is MLS is rather hazy for me smile. But two things are important here. 1) the identifier is entered manually, not generated somehow automatically. 2) after having found the property, an agent shall be given interface to modify/delete that property.

Thank you!

7 (edited by pat 2008-03-20 07:31:12)

antOOn wrote:

Yes, you are right. At first we wanted to give an agent the ability to search by multiple parameters. It's described in the first post.
Then we thought of a workaround (if it's hard to implements such search) that consists of a separate field. Yes, it can be listing ID (what is MLS is rather hazy for me smile. But two things are important here. 1) the identifier is entered manually, not generated somehow automatically. 2) after having found the property, an agent shall be given interface to modify/delete that property.

Thank you!

I have a rudimentary search built that I will be uploading soon (today). It only looks at a couple of fields right now, the title and the address field. The form is pulled into the bottom of the agentadmin.php page. The MLS field that I mentioned earlier is the Multiple Listing Service ID that is issued by the National Association of Realtors as a unique identifier - it would be called something else or be non-existent outside of the US.

The search will reduce the number of properties on the agentadmin.php page(to be added to admin.php as well) and the property can be edited directly from there. It's still the limited listing from before, but now you can narrow it down.

http://freerealty.rwcinc.net/snapshots/ … 072113.tgz

Unpack the above file. The specific files that you will need are agentadmin.php includes/func.php and includes/propertyadmin.php I pulled a bunch of code out of agentadmin.php and put it in includes/propertyadmin.php. The formatting of the search box is controlled through css in freerealty.css, so if you haven't modified your  stylesheets copy that in too.

Patrick

That's really great! The search works alright. I think it's just what we needed. Thanks again!

Two things though.
1) in agent area I see the line like

query: SELECT * from homes where owner = '4' ,

Why is that?
2) Jump to another page - that we discussed at http://bb.rwcinc.net/viewtopic.php?id=150 - again stopped working sad
I did everything as it's said. Changed agentadmin.php about lines 60-65 so that it looks like this

if (isset ($_GET))
{ 
 $edit = @ unquote($_GET['edit']); 
 $editimage = @ unquote($_GET['editimage']);
 $cur_page = @unquote($_GET['cur_page']);
}

But this time it didn't work.

antOOn wrote:

That's really great! The search works alright. I think it's just what we needed. Thanks again!

Two things though.
1) in agent area I see the line like

query: SELECT * from homes where owner = '4' ,

Why is that?

Oops - debugging code. Comment line 500 in includes/propertyadmin.php

antOOn wrote:

2) Jump to another page - that we discussed at http://bb.rwcinc.net/viewtopic.php?id=150 - again stopped working sad
I did everything as it's said. Changed agentadmin.php about lines 60-65 so that it looks like this

if (isset ($_GET))
{ 
 $edit = @ unquote($_GET['edit']); 
 $editimage = @ unquote($_GET['editimage']);
}

But this time it didn't work.

Add a line to includes/propertyadmin.php around 473 so that it looks like:

$image = new image();

I moved stuff around with this last bit of editing and forgot to pull the cur_page in from the $_GET array.

Patrick

That's right. Now everything is just fine.
Thanks a lot!