Topic: initial testing of 20050216090658

http://freerealty.rwcinc.net/snapshots/ … 090658.tgz

threw up the directory, created the database and user, went to install.php

it said to remove common.php, so i did

reloaded install.php and got these messages at the page top:

---
Warning: fopen(common.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/joe/public_html/install.php on line 20
This directory does not appear to be writable
if you continue you may not be able to save your configuration to a file.
This is not yet designed to allow you to copy the output straight to your editor sad sorry

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/joe/public_html/homes_farms_land_properties_buy/install.php on line 33

Warning: unlink(): No such file or directory in /home/cville1/public_html/install.php on line 34
---

so i changed chmod from 755 to 777 and got this message only:

---
Warning: unlink(Resource id #2): No such file or directory in /home/joe/public_html/install.php on line 34
---

the form loaded fine for both tries above, so that's good. smile

how should one proceed w/ the install?

thanks a billion - wink

Re: initial testing of 20050216090658

joe wrote:

so i changed chmod from 755 to 777 and got this message only:

---
Warning: unlink(Resource id #2): No such file or directory in /home/joe/public_html/install.php on line 34
---

the form loaded fine for both tries above, so that's good. smile

how should one proceed w/ the install?

thanks a billion - wink

In plain English, here is what the server tried to do:

Warning: fopen(common.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/joe/public_html/install.php on line 20
This directory does not appear to be writable
if you continue you may not be able to save your configuration to a file.
This is not yet designed to allow you to copy the output straight to your editor sad sorry

Attempted to open the file for writing. If it fails, it means that the directory does not allow writing and so give some additional error output before letting you put too much effort into creating the file- a good thing more or less. I could have this be silent, I just haven't tested a silent check.

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/joe/public_html/homes_farms_land_properties_buy/install.php on line 33

Tries to close the file that it tried above to create. It can't close it because it's not writable- same basic error next function in the list. It probably shouldn't even get to this if the first error occurs... I can throw another if or return in there.

Warning: unlink(): No such file or directory in /home/cville1/public_html/install.php on line 34

Since it couldn't write the file, there isn't one to erase which is what this step tries to do.

If your directory is writable which it should be due to the 777 setting (I would change that back to 775(?) afterwards to prevent others from writing to it once it's set up), then you should be able to fill out the form and click submit- if it worked you will see the output on the screen of all variables written to the common.php file. If not just hit  your browser back button (Firefox saved the input for me) and we can go from there.
It looks like I need to code more meaningful errors into install.php smile

Patrick
Lead developer FreeRealty
Other claims to fame: http://www.rwcinc.net
Enrolled Agent, Licensed to Represent Taxpayers before Exams, Appeals and Conference divisions of the Internal Revenue Service.

did the form and all went fine.

as a side note -- if there is any chance to add this into the 2.9pre-2 i think it would be quite helpful:

after the message saying that the common.php creation went fine, perhaps put in a link to the /admin/configurator.php ?

this would really make it easy and almost a 'web-install'. smile

thanks again - !

4 (edited by pat 2005-02-18 20:23:03)

joe wrote:

did the form and all went fine.

as a side note -- if there is any chance to add this into the 2.9pre-2 i think it would be quite helpful:

after the message saying that the common.php creation went fine, perhaps put in a link to the /admin/configurator.php ?

this would really make it easy and almost a 'web-install'. smile

thanks again - !

Actually, just finished writing that in...  http://freerealty.rwcinc.net/snapshots/ … 201128.tgz
One of those things that I should have put in a while back, but kept forgetting to do it. smile
Oh, and I also moved the admin/configurator.php script to install/configurator.php
Better place for it IMO

Patrick
Lead developer FreeRealty
Other claims to fame: http://www.rwcinc.net
Enrolled Agent, Licensed to Represent Taxpayers before Exams, Appeals and Conference divisions of the Internal Revenue Service.