Topic: latin1_swedish?

Is there some reason why the database is mostly set up in latin1_swedish?  Will something break if I alter it to UTF8?  The database is empty except for the site setup at the moment, so now would be the time for me to change it.

TIA

Re: latin1_swedish?

riccardo wrote:

Is there some reason why the database is mostly set up in latin1_swedish?  Will something break if I alter it to UTF8?  The database is empty except for the site setup at the moment, so now would be the time for me to change it.

TIA

I don't think that I specify the character set anywhere so it would default to your local configuration....

Patrick
Lead developer FreeRealty
Other claims to fame: http://www.rwcinc.net
Enrolled Agent, Licensed to Represent Taxpayers before Exams, Appeals and Conference divisions of the Internal Revenue Service.

Strano!  I don't think I ever wrote a word in Swedish on this (or any other) computer.  Jeg kan inte försto or something like that (there has to be a first time for everything...)  Thanks.  I'll see about changing that to utf8.

Ok, I've been reading the mysql manual.  latin1_swedish is simply the default.  Changing to utf8 doesn't look horrendously dfficult, but, as I understandit, it might break some things perhaps between php and mysql.  So I may just leave it and see how it goes.  Perhaps I'll think of changing if there are any problems with italian accents.

richard