Topic: No idea how to install...

I was disappointed to find no install instructions on the site, and no INSTALL file in the tarball.  There is an readme.html, but this only gives outline instructions:
    1 Download the newest FreeRealty. Unpack the file.        // done
    2 Create a new folder on your server.                   // done
    3 Configure and set parameters (explained below).       // no explanation below
    4 Upload the contents of the zip file to your server.     // done
    5 Create and configure your mySQL tables (also explained below).   // also not explained anywhere

SO THIS IS WHAT I DID:

I created a database user and a database.  I tried to run install.php, but there is no such file.  Instead, I tried opening via a browser install30.php but it said I needed to manually copy common.php (from common30.sample.php) and configure it.  I did this and put the
database details in lines 16 to 22 of the new copy, then ran install30.php again.  This produced a long printout that appeared to be an sql file being run, followed by a vague warning about old versions of php4.  As I have php5, I could not see its relevance.  There was also a link to "Login" at the end of the printout.  This opens a page {webroot}/admin/ which offers a choice of
    Main Administration Tool
    Agent Editor
    Site Configuration Information

I started with Main Administration Tool, assuming I need to set up admin user at least.  This links to a roughly laid out login page.  No obvious username-password pair works.  Grepping for admin, I found apparent default values on lines 93, 94 of install30.php.  These 'admin_user', 'admin_password', also do not work.  Putting in other values on the lines 89, 90 (which were null strings), also has no effect.  I suspect this file is in any case once only, and now irrelevant after it has been run.

I then tried to run /install/configurator.php (again by opening it in the browser).  To my surprise, it produces an entirely blank screen.

I can't really guess what else to try.  Pity I could find no installation instructions...

So, if someone can suggest a different strategy for installing 3.0, I shall give it a go tomorrow.  Otherwise, I shall have to go back to the uncertain delights of open-realty.  (Also seems strewn with install bugs, though at least the main interface comes up.  And then there is the non-GNU license...)

Help, anyone?

richard

Re: No idea how to install...

Hi Richard,
The user and password combination should be the same that you used to set up the database. There seems to be an issue on some installs (not completely worked out) that require you to "log out" first. Try using logout.php and then logging into the admin/admin.php page. You are right about the installation instructions being light, that's something I really have to work on. If you can't seem to get logged in after using logout.php (which should be working - rc5) check your users table to see which user/password combination you have set. If there are any empty entries, delete those at this time as well.

Patrick
Lead developer FreeRealty
Other claims to fame: http://www.rwcinc.net
Enrolled Agent, Licensed to Represent Taxpayers before Exams, Appeals and Conference divisions of the Internal Revenue Service.

Logout works fine. I then tried using the database user and password.  Login form simply reopens blank. As before there is no message that the password was wong.  When I look at the users table, I get this:

mysql> select * from users;
+----------+------+----------+------------+
| user_key | user | password | user_level |
|        1 |      |          | admin      |
1 row in set (0.39 sec)

[Sorry if the layout is a mess -- on my system at least, this BB is not showing posts in monospace, though it obviously should.]

so no username has been set at all!  I set a username and password directly in the database, but the login page is unimpressed.

To be honest, so am I.  Is there simply something wrong with the tarball I downloaded? (FR-3.0-0.rc2.tar.bz2)

Aah... embarrassing, but some files were owned by me.  chown -R www-data has helped.  Problem is almost certainly solved.  Apologies for the wasted bandwidth.

(But something should be done about helping new users: there is no point in referring to install scripts that do not exist, or to explanations below that are not there, etc etc....)

riccardo wrote:

Aah... embarrassing, but some files were owned by me.  chown -R www-data has helped.  Problem is almost certainly solved.  Apologies for the wasted bandwidth.

(But something should be done about helping new users: there is no point in referring to install scripts that do not exist, or to explanations below that are not there, etc etc....)

File ownership should not make any difference. That readme.html is pretty outdated sad I thought that I had put the steps at the beginning of the install30.php file, but seems like they aren't obviously placed. Anything that helps me make changes is certainly not wasted bandwidth. The login screen just defaulting back to a blank login form is supposed to be a security feature - without telling a potential cracker which part they  guessed right, you reduce the chance they will be able to break in. That's also why there is no default user name or password.

Patrick
Enrolled Agent, Licensed to Represent Taxpayers before Exams, Appeals and Conference divisions of the Internal Revenue Service.

I seems pretty clear from the sequence of events here that the permissions were the trigger, but maybe I am mistaken.  I did eventually find the steps at the beginning of install30.php, but that was only because I searched everywhere.  There seems to be no indication anywhere that we should open that file!  And the steps are described very parsmoniously there.

As to the security, I feel it would be good to at least get a "login failed" message, as it is unclear whether the script is even running properly.

I am now going to try to adapt the rest to my needs and to conditions here (Italy).  If things go well, and I continue using Free Realty, it is likely I shall have a few suggestions about easing the internationalization, for example by having language-specific strings for "state", "city", etc -- right into the code, so that local hierarchy of place sizes can be accommodated simply.  Eg UK: county, town; Italy: region, province, locality; France: départment, ville,...  So far I have managed by dint of a nifty bit of work with sed to cut and paste a list of Italian provinces from the web and transform them into sql that replaced the state table successfully.  More to follow...

Anyway, thanks for making this available.

"Login Failed" might be the better answer. There has been little to no internationalization or language customization in the scripts. It would be great if there were different tables available for different countries such as you mention here where you replaced the states... Note that the states *used* to be in an external page that created the drop down list. Now, they are in a table that can be updated.

Patrick